According to official statistics, our nation requires 4 crore units of blood while only 40 lakh units are actually available.
A global statistic states that more than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day in order to balance the deficit.
As for blood components, about 30 million components are transfused each year, the average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
One of the most uncommon blood groups with only 7 percent of people in India having this blood type is the O-negative blood group. People with this blood group are universal donors as their blood can be given to people of all blood types. In certain cases where the person’s blood type is unknown or in cases of new born, type O negative is needed.
If you look at statistics, it shows clearly shows that need for blood is more than supply. Save Life India-Blood Donors Network plays very important role in filling this gap.
It has been said that the human body is best storage of blood. Online database of donors will viewable/visible to all. A person in need can search a blood donor and request him/her to donate blood. It provides a common platform for blood donor as well as to the patient. Registering as a blood donor and searching a donor is free of cost.
Who requires blood?
- Accident and burns victims – A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 units of blood.
- Cancer patients – It is estimated that more than 1 million people are diagnosed with cancer every year; most cancer patients will require blood, sometimes daily, or during their chemotherapy treatment.
- For those undergoing surgery
- People with bleeding disorders like hemophilia
- People with immune system disorders
- People with sickle cell anemia
Life is a precious gift from God. We need to live life fully, enjoy every moment, and also help others to live good -stress free lives. However, due to hectic lifestyle, cut-throat competition, materialistic wants, failures etc. we get stressed. At times life passes through a stage where life becomes meaningless. It becomes a burden, not only to self but also to the near and dear ones, to colleagues and in general to the entire society. When a person gets entangled in self created problems, a person becomes helpless, he doesn’t understand what to do, whom to call, and he becomes panicky and depressed. Most of the time he approaches close friends and relatives, who are unable to provide any solution. At times one may opt for suicide or turn to alcohol or narcotic drugs to distress his mind and get peace. Such people have a need to turn to someone whom they can trust and confide in and get an appropriate solution to the problems that they are going through.
Similarly, due to hectic and fast life style accidents and health hazards are a common feature in today’s world. On a daily basis numerous accidents take place. So also a number of life saving surgeries are conducted which requires a huge amounts of blood. At times lives may be lost due to shortage of blood. In emergencies it is very difficult to find the right donor with the matching blood group and the near and dear ones of the patient run pillar to post in search of blood.
Looking at this situation we, the volunteers of Art of Living in Goa have initiated a project called ‘Save Life India’, which is going to be a helping hand to the entire nation in case of emergencies requiring blood and counseling & guidance in case of stressed life.
Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankarji says “We all must value human life above race, religion and culture. Have a sense of belonging to this planet and its people”.
Our Aim is:
- To provide common platform for a donor to give blood and a patient to receive blood.
- People from any part of India can avail of these facilities online.
- All the search and registration will be free of cost.
- To help people to do a supreme service to mankind by donating blood.
- To give hope to save lives and not to panic in emergency situations.
- To avoid unnecessary wastage of blood.
- Storage of blood can be avoided to a large extent.